Dataset - Seasonal and Inter-annual Fluctuations of Ice Velocities on Five Svalbard Glaciers
In order to improve our understanding of the relation between meltwater input and sliding velocities we measure seasonal and inter-annual fluctuations of ice velocities on five Svalbard glaciers. These glaciers are:
Nordenskiöldbreen,data available April 2006 - April 2011.
Kronebreen, data available September 2008 - March 2011.
Vestfonna, data available May 2008 - May 2010.
Duvebreen, Austfonna, data available May 2008 - May 2011.
Basin no3, Austfonna, data available May 2008 - May 2011.
On each glacier 5 to 10 receivers are placed on a central flowline ranging from close to the front to above the equilibriumline altitude.
Utrecht University, Institute for Marine and Atmospheric research Utrecht (IMAU)
|Carleen Tijm-Reijmer||Utrecht University, Institute for Marine and Atmospheric research Utrecht (IMAU)||Investigator, Technical Contact, Metadata Author|
Quality of the data set is generally good, but depends on GPS receiver.
Contact the author / data center to request data
|The Dynamic Response of Arctic Glaciers to Global Warming||851.40.040||2006-08-01 - 2010-10-31|
den Ouden, M.A.G., Tijm-Reijmer, C.H., et al., 2011. Stand-alone single-frequency GPS ice velocity observations on Nordenskiöldbreen, Svalbard. The Cryosphere 4 (4), 593-604
van de Wal, R.S.W., Boot, W., et al., 2008. Large and rapid melt-induced velocity changes in the ablation zone of the Greenland Ice Sheet. science 321 (5885), 111-113
Information about the project
The home page of the IMAU
- Ocean > Atlantic Ocean > North Atlantic Ocean > Svalbard And Jan Mayen
- Continent > Europe > Northern Europe > Scandinavia > Norway
- Geographic Region > Arctic
- Geographic Region > Polar
- Geoscientific Information
- Cryosphere > Glaciers/ice Sheets
- Cryosphere > Glaciers/ice Sheets > Glacier Motion/ice Sheet Motion
- Cryosphere > Glaciers/ice Sheets > Glaciers
- Cryosphere > Snow/ice
- Cryosphere > Snow/ice > Ice Motion
- Cryosphere > Snow/ice > Ice Velocity
- Ice flow velocity